Adam’s eating has recently declined and he has not been eating well the last 3 days. Less than 15 ounces a day.
Yesterday, Adam had a CT scan scheduled in the morning. He was required to fast since 5:00 am until the scan was complete, so he had not eaten anything all morning. But after trying to give him some anti-nausea medication, he vomited up some stomach acid and blood, which can indicate low platelet count. The radiologist wanted him to drink an oral contrast diluted with 7 ounces of pedialyte (breastmilk not allowed). He would not drink any of it and after 4 hours of waiting and trying, they decided to do just an IV contrast (thru his central line) and then finally did the CT scan early afternoon, which took just a few minutes. The purpose of the CT scan is for the doctors and surgeons to see the location and size of his primary tumor in proximity to his critical organs. This would allow them to determine whether it is safe to proceed with a biopsy and possibly surgery to remove the tumor.
While waiting to do the CT scan, the nurses did a blood draw. Lab results indiated a low platelet count and non-existent white blood cell count (i.e. neutropenic). At 2:30pm, Adam received a platelet transfusion. We returned home around 7:00pm and he slept through the night without waking up to feed.
This morning, he vomited shortly after waking up and trying to feed. There was no blood in his vomit this time. He has been sleepy and lethargic all morning and his heart rate is elevated. We checked his temperature this morning at home using three different thermometers which gave us all different readings but appeared to be a fever; and coupled with his other symptoms we knew something wasn’t right.
Adam was admitted into the ER at CHLA this morning for a low grade fever (100.3 F or 38 C) and he received antibiotics right away. Adam will likely be admitted into the hospital for a few days, pending results of his blood work this morning. This is protocol if he has a fever and is neutropenic. We are still waiting to speak to the doctor.
Please pray for us. We will try to provide updates later if we are able to.